Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cream of Wisconsin Cheese Soup

Growing up my mother made us Welsh Rabbit. Our welsh rabbit contained no beer but was rather just a cheddar cheese sauce she had made, which she served on toast with a fresh slice of tomato. It was a very simple dish.  Since I had enjoyed this dish growing up, I decided to try something new, Cream of Wisconsin Cheese Soup I found in the recipe book, Dining By Rail by James D. Porterfield.
I had made a recipe previously from this cookbook. A Cuban Sandwich. The soup I am sharing with you today was a menu served by The Fred Harvey Company. It was also a favorite of President Harry S. Truman.
This was my first time making a cheese dish before. I have made items with cheese in them, but not an actual cheese dish, so it was definitely an experience. After I added the roux, I thought perhaps I made made a mistake, then a added the cream, but the soup was wonderful. The only thing I did different was I used black pepper instead of white.
The one thing I can say is that I will be better when it comes to my next cheese dish. I don't cook with dairy that often, so making a cheese soup was new for me.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment