Monday, January 14, 2013

Childhood: Growing up with Cream of Wheat

Growing up, one of my favorite breakfasts to have during the wintertime was Cream of Wheat. I make my cream of wheat on the stove. This may seem strange to some who make their Cream of Wheat in the microwave, but I like the consistency better on the stove and it takes little to no time to make it on the stove. In fact, now I make it with soy, almond or coconut milk.

To make it, I put a small pot on medium high heat with 1 and 1/4 cups of soy milk. I sometimes add a pinch of salt. Wait for the milk to come to a boil. Add 3 tablespoons of cream of wheat. Turn the heat down to low and whisk for one minute(whisking is the most important instruction because it does make a difference). Wait a couple of minutes for it to thicken, and pour into a bowl.

Growing up my family had a microwave. My Dad bought it for my Mom because I think the whole idea of heating up food fast was cool technology. Believe it or not that microwave worked for twenty years before my parents needed a new one. It was also very large.
I love the movie, Oliver! The Musical. The movie starts out with orphans in line for gruel. Because although I love Cream of Wheat, that is what I think of when I sit down to eat it. Cassandra is eating gruel.
So here is my gruel with some honey and blueberries atop, which I would be having with my orange juice, and a cup of tea.

Do any of my readers enjoy Cream of Wheat for breakfast? Or do you prefer farina made by another brand?





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment