Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy 4th of July

Here is a salad I made recently. It is Greek Pasta Salad with Feta and Chicken and it is a recipe by Robin Miller.
Here is the recipe for which I have also linked it to the Food Network where this recipe is posted. (Although this recipe came from the CD Kitchen).

GREEK PASTA SALAD WITH FETA AND CHICKEN RECIPE                                       Serves/Makes:   8
Submitted by: jlows
Ready in: 30-60 minutes   recipe difficulty 3/5 Difficulty:   3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)
12 ounces ditalini or other pasta
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound cooked cubed chicken
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano

 Cook pasta according to package directions.
In a small bowl, whisk together broth, oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Add diced chicken, green pepper, and mint.
Drain pasta and add to bowl with dressing and chicken. Toss to combine. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with feta cheese just before serving.


My boyfriend loved this recipe but he wanted the feta to be in the salad. The fresh mint, although wonderful did not last very long sliced.  The pasta I used was hard to eat with the other items in the salad.

I made this salad once again but made a few changes that gave this salad a absolutely wonderful flavor. 
1. I used elbow macaroni because it is easy to eat in a macaroni salad with other items (That is what my mother uses) for which I also used 16 oz instead of 12 oz.
2. I added sun dried tomatoes with their liquid which I chopped up a little smaller which about to about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup
3. I added dried parsley to the recipe and I negated the mint
4. I made twice as much dressing to keep the salad moist
5. I added container of herbed crumbled feta to the pasta salad at the very beginning.

Here is what it looked like...
It had more color, flavor and taste. It was a great hit at the 4th of July party too.

Stay cool on these hot days coming this week and Happy Independence Day!

Cassandra

No comments:

Post a Comment