Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chicken Fricassee

Chicken Fricassee is a meal that has survived many a century, considering it dates back to at least the fifteenth century according to wikipedia. Despite this fact, for me, this was my first time having this particular dish. I found it while going through my cookbooks completely by accident.
This is the cookbook I found the recipe in, 'Scottish Bakehouse Cook Book' by Isabella  M. White. I cooked the Chicken Fricassee in my dutch oven.

Chicken Fricassee
Serves 4 to 6
1 frying chicken, cut up
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used portobello)
1/2 cup orange juice (I used orange mango because that is hat I had in the house)
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup butter (I use unsalted)
2 cups water
2 eggs
salt and pepper
Boiled rice
Paprika

Season frying chicken and slightly fry in butter. Add the cut up vegetables and water. Simmer until the chicken is tender about 1 hour and 15 minutes to a half hour (or however long is necessary).

Remove the chicken from the pot and place on a platter. Check the seasoning and season more if necessary.

Beat the eggs in a cup ahead of time  if you wish and add the orange juice. I then added the flour and mixed well. Add this to the stock mixture in the pot. Mix until thickened and of a gravy consistency.

To serve.
Place some chicken on one side of the plate. Place rice on the other side of the plate. Ladle gravy over chicken and rice, and sprinkle with paprika.






Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment