Saturday, September 15, 2012

English Country Chicken


This meal was wonderful. The hardest prep work was cutting up the chicken. Here it is served with a brown rice pilaf and green beans. I did make a few slight changes to this recipe. I made it with a roaster instead of a chicken (believe it or not the roaster was cheaper). The recipe also calls for a 16-oz jar orange marmalade. Have you ever seen a 16-oz jar of orange marmalade in the supermarket? I found a 12-oz jar and an 18-oz jar, but not 16-oz. So I went with the 18-oz. I also made the sauce right in the pan I baked the chicken in. I figured why waste a pan.

ENGLISH COUNTRY CHICKEN Serves 4
2½ to 3 lb. chicken, cut up and skinned
½ tsp. salt
16 oz. jar orange marmalade
2 tbsp. lemon juice
⅓ c. prepared mustard
½ c. water
½ - 1 tsp. curry powder
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Arrange chicken in 2 quart shallow baking dish. In saucepan heat marmalade, mustard, curry powder and salt until melted. Add lemon juice; pour over chicken. Cover with foil. Bake 375°F for 45 minutes. Remove foil and baste. Bake 30 minutes longer. Remove chicken to platter. Pour sauce into pan. Combine water and cornstarch. Blend into sauce. Cook until thickened. Pour over chicken.
This chicken was a big hit at my house, I hope it is a hit at yours.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment