Saturday, January 31, 2009

It is Time for My Treatment

At the age of 21 I was diagnosed with Mediterranean anemia. As a result I have to go for treatments at the Hospital of St. Raphael in New Haven. I visit the Father Michael J. McGiveny Center for Cancer Care.
I spend about an hour and a half at the facility. They usually give me a hospital couch. Oftentimes when I am there I spend my time reading. It is a good time to catch up on some reading. The only person needed to attend to me is a nurse. Basically I am hooked up to an IV. This time was a little unusual as they were very busy so I sat in a regular chair.
Before they begin my treatment they have to check my state of health. This of course is when they check your body temperature and blood pressure. You should recognize the unit or something like it.
Once I am checked out then it is time for the treatment. The give me Ferric Gluconate and they use...
this unit which feeds it through system using this machine....
This all takes a little more time then I want during my day but then it is a necessity. I don't enjoy the needles but in some ways the more needles you receive the more you get use to it, even if I don't really care for the pinch I receive in the very beginning.

Sometimes I am able to talk with other patients who are also receiving treatments. Most of them are cancer treatments who are there much longer than I. It they allow me, I take the time to learn more about them. At times I can be a little talkative but it allows me to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment